Control Emotional and Stress Eating Over the Holidays
I have to admit, I have been eating way MORE than usual the last 3 weeks. The thing that makes me mad the most is I have been making excuses for it. Like well, so is everybody. It's been a tough year, I deserve it. And how about this one: I will eat whatever I want now and start a diet the first of the year. Enough is enough. With this way of thinking I will gain 20 pounds by January. It is ending today with healthier eating and getting back to the gym.
Well if you don't want to fall into the trap of overeating over the holidays check this out from psychologytoday.com. Here are some tips to help you navigate those days between now and then.
- Sleep (The holidays can be a great time to catch up on your rest)
- Take breaks (Take time away from the table and the family and get fresh air)
- Journal (Write stuff down when traveling and vent your anxiety and emotions)
- Exercise (This is my favorite cause it relieves stress and burns off the extra calories)
- Put healthy stuff on your plate (Put more healthy things on your plate than sweets)
- Watch the alcohol (Not only does booze add calories, it will make you eat more, so be careful)
I can follow all those tips pretty will over the holidays. The hard part for me is being at home between the holidays and eating in front of the TV, or eating when I am bored. So the key for me is keep only healthy food in the house.
How do you cope with eating too much this time of year?