10 Things to do During Michigan Electrical Power Outages
What is it about losing electrical power at home during severe thunderstorms? All of a sudden you feel helpless and not sure what to do.
First and foremost, don't panic. Your power will be restored eventually, you just need to come up with great ideas on how to stay busy while utility companies are trying to fix the problem.
First things first, always keep your freezer and refrigerator closed during an outage. If you have a generator, use it outdoors only and away from windows and doors.
And one more thing, it's always a good idea to disconnect appliances and electronics to avoid damage from electrical surges.
What are 10 things you can do for fun during a Michigan electrical outage?
1. Write a letter. When was the last time you wrote a heart warming letter for someone you love. Perfect time for a letter.
2. Bring out board games. Once you light a few candles or perhaps you have a camping lantern you can use, that's all the light you need to play some of your favorite board games.
3. Play Hide and Seek. This can be a lot of fun as long as you have enough people to participate. I played hide and seek in the dark all the time when I was younger. Bring back the fun and relive the good old days during a power outage.
4. Bike ride or walk. Not a good idea at night, but always a great idea during daylight hours. Not only great exercise, but it helps to keep your mind occupied during electrical power outages.
5. Crossword puzzles. If you enjoy crossword puzzles, then you'll enjoy this activity to help pass the time quickly.
6. Card games. Who doesn't enjoy a good game of cards. Play war, go fish, crazy 8, and even solitaire if you're by yourself.
7. Call your friends. Even though your power may be out, you can still call one of your best friends to catch up. Just don't use up too much cell phone battery power.
8. Build a fort. Pull out extra sheets and pillows and use your imagination to build the kind of fort you used to build when you were a kid.
9. Old Photo albums. This is the best time to break out the old photo albums to reflect and share a memory or two with loved ones.
10. Ouija board. Break out an old Ouija board and have a little fun or better yet, have your own little seance and attempt to contact past spirits. Creepy, spooky, and fun during an electrical power outage.
Powertechteam.com has more ideas on fun things you can do during a power outage.