Massive Fruit Recall Now Extended To Michigan
Get rid of the fruits!
As you continue to go food shopping for the holiday, you may want to know about this important fruit recall.
What Fruit Is Recalled In Michigan?
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention announced that there is a salmonella outbreak that is linked to cantaloupes.
"This outbreak may not be limited to the states with known illnesses, and the true number of sick people is likely much higher than the number reported. This is because many people recover without medical care and are not tested for Salmonella."
What Cantaloupes Are Recalled?
- Whole Cantaloupes
- Might have a sticker that says “Malichita” or “Rudy,” with the number “4050”, and “Product of Mexico/produit du Mexique”
- Aldi Whole Cantaloupes and Pre-Cut Fruit Products
- Includes whole cantaloupes, cantaloupe chunks in clamshell packaging, and pineapple spears in clamshell packaging
- Best-by dates between October 27 and October 31, 2023
- Sold in ALDI stores in Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Michigan, and Wisconsin
- Freshness Guaranteed Brand & RaceTrac Brand Pre-cut Cantaloupes
- Includes cantaloupe chunks, seasonal blends, melon mixes, and fruit mixes
- Packed in clear square or round plastic containers
- Best-by dates between November 7 to November 12, 2023
- Sold in Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, North Carolina, Ohio, Tennessee, Texas, and Virginia
What Should You Do?
The CDC says that you should know the following information:
- Do not eat any recalled cantaloupes and other fruit products. Throw them away or return them to where you bought them.
- Wash items and surfaces that may have touched the recalled fruit using hot soapy water or a dishwasher.
- Call your healthcare provider if you have any of these severe Salmonella symptoms:
- Diarrhea and a fever higher than 102°F
- Diarrhea for more than 3 days that is not improving
- Bloody diarrhea
- So much vomiting that you cannot keep liquids down
- Signs of dehydration, such as:
- Not peeing much
- Dry mouth and throat
- Feeling dizzy when standing up
You can read the full report here.
The Income Needed to Afford Rent in Each Michigan County
Gallery Credit: Kristen Matthews