The Fred Bear Museum in Grayling was too short-lived.

It opened in 1967 at 7601 Old Lake Road and held “the largest privately held collection of archery artifacts in the world”. The many exhibits included Fred Bear’s story, bowhunting history, stuffed animal mounts, bowhunting memorabilia, Fred’s trophies, and equipment that included bows and arrows used by Fred.

But it didn’t even last 20 years in Michigan.

100.7 WITL logo
Get our free mobile app

In 1985 after eighteen years in Grayling, the museum was moved to Gainesville, Florida at the Bear Archery plant. Another eighteen years go by and in 2003, the entire collection was sold to Bass Pro Shops and sent to Springfield, Missouri, where it remains.

Fred Bear was the first president of the Detroit Archers, Michigan’s oldest archery club. Fred’s proudest possession was one of his polar bear skins – and it was stolen in 2006. Someone broke into Detroit Archers, swiped it, and has never been found.

In April 2008, two years after the theft, the former Fred Bear Museum in Grayling was demolished. Photos of the museum and a video of the demolition can be seen below.

Fred Bear was born in Pennsylvania in 1902. In 1947, Fred and his wife packed up and moved to Grayling, living in a tent down by the river in order to save money in order to build their bowhunting business.

As years went by, Fred traveled all over the world promoting bowhunting. After moving to Florida, he passed away due to a heart attack on April 27, 1988. His body was cremated, with his ashes strewn near the Au Sable River in a section where he used to fish.

Scroll down to the gallery to see images of the old Fred Bear Museum in Grayling.

Fred Bear Museum

Fred Bear Museum Demolition April 2008.

More From 100.7 WITL