MI Bars To Close Indoor Service, Indoor Gatherings Limited To 10 People
Due to a resurgence in cases of COVID-19 across the state Governor Whitmer has signed two executive orders (Executive Order 2020-160 and Executive Order 2020-161) which will amend Michigan Safe Start Order and revise workplace safety protocols according to ClickonDetroit.com.
The new executive orders will take effect starting Friday, July 31, and limit indoor gatherings to 10 people and bars will have to close indoor service if they make more than 70% of their income from the sale of alcohol. That even includes the Traverse City and Upper Peninsula regions, which had been more open than the rest of the state, as for limitations.
The Governor’s decision comes after the resurgence of COVID-19 cases have been linked to social gatherings including a house party in Saline with 50+ cases, a sandbar party at Torch Lake during the 4th of July weekend with 43 positive cases, and the outbreak at the bar in Lansing which had 187 positive cases, ClickonDetroit.com reports.
The Governor's statement from ClickonDetroit.com,
“As we see COVID-19 cases continue to rise, Michiganders cannot afford to drop our guard. We must take every step possible to save lives, protect the brave men and women on the front lines, and avoid overwhelming our healthcare system while we continue to combat COVID-19,” Whitmer said. “After seeing a resurgence in cases connected to social gatherings across the state, we must further limit gatherings for the health of our community and economy. By taking these strong actions, we will be better positioned to get our children back into classrooms and avoid a potentially devastating second wave.”
As for outdoor gatherings, ClickonDetroit.com, says the executive order limits it to 100 people except in regions 6 & 8 which are the Traverse City and Upper Pennisula regions, those limits remain at 250 for outdoor gatherings.