Graduation Season in Mid-Michigan: Great Gifts for Grads
The next few weeks will be busy with plenty of high school graduations. But, whether someone is graduating from college, high school…or even preschool, this is a time for celebration! I had a grad this year…and two years before that…and then two years before that, so I’ve been completely immersed in the celebration scene. And this year, I have quite a few graduation parties (or as we call them in Michigan, a graduation “Open House”) to go to.
With all of the celebrating at hand, I wondered what is the best gift for a graduate? From my own experience, and after asking around to my friends, I’ve come up with a few suggestions:
The number one gift that was appreciated and suggested was…MONEY! There are so many things a graduate will need and money helps…a LOT. No matter which route they are taking after graduation, money is a safe and welcomed gift. If you want to be really cool, give a check in the amount of the graduation year...like $23 for 2023!
If you prefer to give an actual gift, here are suggestions from my friends,
Jason said, “Laundry basket, detergent, dryer sheets, a tide stick and a roll of quarters! Best gift I ever got.”
Carol suggested, “A book and write a note inside. Suggestions include: “The Richest Man in Babylon”, “Think & Grow Rich” and “5” by Dan Zadra.”
Maureen added, “A Jenga set and write words of encouragement on them. Or an ornament - I put both of my son’s tassels in a clear ornament.”
Other gift ideas:
- 3M Command Strips
- Stamps, notecards, thank you cards, personalized stationery
- A nice watch
- Uber Gift Card
- The book, “The Mindfulness Journal for Teens”
*My own kids said they really appreciated getting an Amazon Gift Card and a First Aid Kit.
RELATED: Top 10 Country Songs for Graduation
Gifts that I like to give for a high school grad who is headed off to college:
- IKEA bags! These are perfect for packing…and laundry…and quick trips home.
- A shirt or sweatshirt…or even a water bottle, from the school they are headed to.
- A deck of cards or a board game. These come in handy for having a night with friends in the dorm.
- Gift Cards to places like gas stations, Taco Bell, Subway and Target.
- Gift Cards to the college bookstore or local restaurants.