Dangerous Weed Found In Michigan
Calhoun County officials are warning residents about a dangerous--and giant--hogweed that was recently found in the area. According to WWMT, the plant was found in Pennfield Township and has since been completely removed.
Here's why the plant is so dangerous. Officials say the sap on the leaves, roots, flower heads, seeds and stem hairs can cause blistering and scars if they touch bare skin and the sap can cause permanent blindness if it gets in the eyes. Health officials say to wash any skin that contacts the plant in soapy water and to immediately flush affected eyes with water and medical attention should be sought immediately.
Here are some facts about hogweed:
- It can grow 18 feet high
- It flowers from late spring to mid-summer
- It has dark red or purple spots and bristles on a green stem, and a white flower that looks like Queen Anne's lace or cow parsnip.
- Here are several photos of what the plant looks like from CBS News.