Sparrow To Host Free Skin Cancer Screenings In Lansing
The month of May is officially Skin Cancer Detection and Prevention Month and the Sparrow Cancer Center and the American Cancer Society are partnering to conduct free skin cancer screenings. The free screenings will take place on Tuesday, May 8th from 5 to 7 p.m. at the Sparrow Herbert-Herman Cancer Center. You can schedule your free skin cancer screening appointment by calling 1-800-SPARROW (772-7769). Please keep in mind that there is a limited number of free appointments available.
Here are some prevention guidelines from the Skin Cancer Foundation:
- Seek the shade, especially between 10 AM and 4 PM.
- Do not burn.
- Avoid tanning and UV tanning beds.
- Cover up with clothing, including a broad-brimmed hat and UV-blocking sunglasses.
- Use a broad spectrum (UVA/UVB) sunscreen with an SPF of 15 or higher every day. For extended outdoor activity, use a water-resistant, broad spectrum (UVA/UVB) sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher.
- Apply 1 ounce (2 tablespoons) of sunscreen to your entire body 30 minutes before going outside.Reapply every two hours or immediately after swimming or excessive sweating.
- Keep newborns out of the sun. Sunscreens should be used on babies over the age of six months.
- Examine your skin head-to-toe every month.
- See your physician every year for a professional skin exam.
**CHECK OUT THE NEW WITL APP AVAILABLE AT THE ITUNES STORE AND GOOGLE PLAY!**